Director of Human Resources
We are the Indiana Biosciences Research Institute (IBRI). We are a leading translational research institute that advances academic and industry science through collaboration to improve patient health outcomes. Building your career at the IBRI in Indianapolis’ 16 Tech Innovation District, means being part of a team of renowned scientists, creative thinkers and innovative leaders.
Today’s research is being driven by significant advances in our abilities to study complex disease processes and propose new ways to improve patients’ lives. To reflect the evolving nature of life sciences research and encourage synergies through collaboration, we’re enhancing our integrated capabilities, adding depth to how we approach patient-informed translational science and pursuing four foundational areas of scientific focus. These four areas will provide us the core talent and capability to pursue translational science in this new patient-centric framework:
- Disease, Systems, Pathways – We’re working to better understand diabetes and identify new ways to combat the disease. We’re applying this learning to other diseases that share common systems and pathways.
- Molecular Innovation – We’re developing new capabilities for molecular design and drug discovery to investigate disease processes and pursue new therapeutic approaches.
- Integrated Data Sciences – We’re pursuing advanced data sciences to create novel end-user inspired solutions that address complex analysis, simulation and prediction across the translational sciences.
- Enabling Technologies – We’re building a rich platform of enabling technologies that give our scientists, partners and collaborators access to the best tools to solve complex scientific problems.
The IBRI’s vision is to build a world-class organization of researchers, innovators and business professionals that catalyze activities across the Indiana (and beyond) life sciences community. To achieve that vision, we look for curious and collaborative team members who are energized by innovation, guided by integrity and inspired by diversity.
We are seeking an experienced Human Resources professional to be the IBRI Director of Human Resources. As a member of the IBRI administration team, this position will manage the Human Resources functional capabilities, including but not limited to strategic workforce planning, an IBRI career path framework, talent acquisition, training, and employee relations in a way that will align with the institute’s goals and objectives. The Director of Human Resources will be responsible for creating dynamic employee development programs and attracting new talent, and HR policies to support the institute’s growth. Our goal is to attract, motivate and retain a talented and diverse workforce in a positive environment based on our values of inclusion, teamwork, integrity, innovation, and collaboration. A successful candidate will be a trusted advisor and partner to the executive team, responsible for all aspects of the human resources function necessary to achieve this goal.
Key responsibilities include:
- Administer IBRI’s human resources programs to support the IBRI’s goals, achieve objectives, and positively engage the workforce.
- Develop, implement, and administer policies, processes, training, and initiatives to support the IBRI's human resource compliance and strategy needs.
- Develop and implement initiatives to enhance employee engagement, talent acquisition, talent development, diversity, equity and inclusion, and performance management.
- Monitors and ensures compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations.
- Reviews and modifies policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Develop and implement an HR information system to facilitate processes and provide data and reporting on HR activity.
- Create and formalize an Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) for recruiting, promotion, and termination.
- Develop and execute a strategic workforce talent acquisition plan and drive the attraction, development, and retention of our talent consistent with IBRI’s objectives and stakeholder expectations.
- Administer, develop, and grow a biotech workforce development program which includes but is not limited to a high school intern program, a summer undergraduate intern program, a work-study program, a post-baccalaureate, and a post-doctoral program.
- Review, benchmark and maintain the institute’s compensation and benefits programs to insure they remain competitive in the marketplace while maintaining the IBRI’s 501c3 tax-exempt status.
- Work with the IBRI leadership team to develop a succession plan for key positions and a business continuity framework to match the growth of the organization.
- Provide coaching to functional leaders on matters concerning development of their organization to enhance effectiveness and potential.
- Develop key metrics for the HR function and overall workforce efficiency.
- Oversee and coordinate the recruitment and onboarding activities for new IBRI employees.
- Oversee and coordinate annual performance management process.
- Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, Business Administration, or Science field.
- 10+ years of progressive human resources experience with at least 5 in management and partnering with executive leadership.
- Previous experience understanding of all aspects of HR with track record of devising and executing company-wide HR policies.
- Experience and knowledge of HR information systems.
- Experience with design and implementation of HR technology platforms.
- Demonstrates highest level of ethics, integrity and trust while acting with courage and candor.
Qualifications and Skills
- Demonstrated ability to maintain strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Up to date with the latest HR regulatory requirements within Indiana.
- Advanced knowledge in federal and state labor laws EEO, ADA, FMLA, LOA, etc.
- Passion for science and an appreciation for working with scientific staff for talent acquisitions, development, and retention.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees.
The IBRI offers an attractive compensation package that includes a competitive base salary and comprehensive benefits.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The IBRI provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Please visit us at www.indianabiosciences.org/careers-apply to apply for this opportunity. Interested individuals are encouraged to provide their resume and a brief cover letter when they apply.