Research Associate - Entry Level
We are the Indiana Biosciences Research Institute (IBRI). We are a leading translational research institute that advances academic and industry science through collaboration to improve patient health outcomes. Building your career at the IBRI in Indianapolis’ 16 Tech Innovation District, means being part of a team of renowned scientists, creative thinkers and innovative leaders.
Today’s research is being driven by significant advances in our abilities to study complex disease processes and propose new ways to improve patients’ lives. To reflect the evolving nature of life sciences research and encourage synergies through collaboration, we’re enhancing ourintegrated capabilities, adding depth to how we approach patient-informed translational science and pursuing four foundational areas of scientific focus. These four areas will provide us the core talent and capability to pursue translational science in this new patient-centric framework:
- Disease, Systems, Pathways – We’re working to better understand diabetes and identify new ways to combat the disease. We’re applying this learning to other diseases that share common systems and pathways.
- Molecular Innovation – We’re developing new capabilities for molecular design and drug discovery to investigate disease processes and pursue new therapeutic approaches.
- Integrated Data Sciences – We’re pursuing advanced data sciences to create novel end-user inspired solutions that address complex analysis, simulation and prediction across the translational sciences.
- Enabling Technologies – We’re building a rich platform of enabling technologies that give our scientists, partners and collaborators accessto the besttoolsto solve complex scientific problems.
The IBRI’s vision is to build a world-class organization of researchers, innovators and business professionals that catalyze activities across the Indiana (and beyond) life sciences community. To achieve that vision, we look for curious and collaborative team members who are energized by innovation, guided by integrity and inspired by diversity.
The Molecular Innovations area has a Protein Therapeutics Research Associate position available for an individual with training, knowledge and experience in contemporary molecular and synthetic biology, and a desire to expand their skillset into isolation and characterization of recombinant antibodies through phage display technology. Working in the IBRI’s Protein Therapeutics Lab, the Research Associate will be involved in collaborative research projects that include preparation of recombinant proteins using diverse expression systems, use of these proteins as antigens to screen the IBRI’s phage display recombinant human antibody library, and characterization of candidate antibodies for development as molecular diagnostics or as candidate therapeutics for use in translational studies.
- Accurately document notes, the experimental methods, and results.
- Conduct experiments for recombinant antibody discovery, including:
- Expression vector design and construction via molecular cloning.
- Perform routine gel electrophoresis for analysis or manipulation of DNA or proteins.
- Propagation of recombinant bacteria clones for DNA isolation or protein expression.
- Characterize protein expression characteristics using diverse systems including E. coli, yeast, baculovirus/insect cell, and mammalian systems including CHO or Expi 293t.
- Optimize protein purification schemes for diverse proteins.
- Conduct phage display screening and organize and rank candidate lead molecules.
- Scale protein expression of promising recombinant antibodies.
- Perform laboratory experiments and may be responsible for multiple research projects.
- Working with molecular biology design tools such as primer design, genome browsers, tools, sequencing analysis.
- Maintain a detailed lab notebook, maintain accurate records, may modify protocols with the approval of the Protein Therapeutics team.
- Review literature, publications and grants relevant to assigned projects.
- Present results at lab meetings and with external collaborators.
- Monitor and order laboratory supplies.
- Prepare and label buffers, media, stock solutions for the Protein Therapeutics Lab.
- Assist with budget for service and contract proposals.
- Perform other assays on-demand such as antibody/antigen ELISA or BiaCore/Octet for affinity measurements of antibody/antigen pairs.
- BS or MA/MS Molecular biology, Bioengineering, Biology, or a related field is required.
- Demonstrated skills in molecular biology and in cell culture/aseptic technique are required.
- Experience with expression vector design and construction and protein expression/purification are preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) is required.
- Must be open to learning new techniques.
- Good organizational skills and communication skills are required.
Compensation: Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits offered, commensurate with experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity: The IBRI provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Please visit us at www.indianabiosciences.org/careers-apply to apply for this opportunity. Interested individuals are encouraged to provide their CV/resume and a brief cover letter with their application.